A TASTE OF CUBA: DIY SANGRIA
02 May 2016
Arriba! El Patio de Cuba is opening soon and we cannot wait for you to experience a taste of Cuban Culture right here on the Gold Coast. With international chefs, a fresh dining experience and a traditionally warm interior all inspired by Cuba's original party island, the time to grab your friends, put on your dancing shoes, work up an appetite and breathe in the soul of Cuba is near!
Before you can come in and taste the real deal, get excited with our easy DIY recipe for how to make red wine sangria at home.
RED WINE SANGRIA
Preparation: 6-7 mins
What You Need
Prior to starting your checklist, it's essential to remember that a high quality red wine makes all the difference. For sangria to taste good, carefully select your red wine. We recommend a Spanish Rioja or Shiraz.
- 4x Orange
- 2x Lemon
- 1x Apple (unpeeled, without a core and diced)
- 1x Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2x Jug
- 8x Tall Glasses
- 750ml Red Wine Bottle
- 750ml Soft Drink Bottle (either lemonade, soda water or ginger ale)
- 1/4 Cup Brandy
- 1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- A Large Bowl
- Cut 1 orange and 1 lemon into thin slices.
- Then with each slice, cut these into small wedges and place them all into your large bowl.
- Add apple and cinnamon to your bowl, then pour brandy over the fruit.
- Stir the mixture well to combine all of your ingredients.
- Cover your bowl and leave it to refrigerate overnight. A minimum of 4 hours is preferred; keeping in mind the softer and sweeter it is, the more you'll enjoy it - just don't taste test before it's ready!
- Juice your leftover oranges and lemon.
- Mix 1 1/2 Cups of your fine red wine with 1 1/2 tablespoons of caster sugar, 1 1/2 cups of soft drink, 1/4 cup orange juice and 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice all into a jug.
- Add half of your apple mixture to this jug, and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Repeat this method with the remaining ingredients using your second jug.
- Prepare your 8 tall glasses, spoon crush ice into each and pour your sangria on top.
And now, you're ready to party!
Feeling thirsty? For a glimpse into the underway beauty of El Patio de Cuba, check out The Cuban Bar & Lounge Dining to see what it's all about.